Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD 2003 migrate question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Mar 19, 2003
GB
Hi, I have just done a test migrate from NT 4 to 2003, but for some reason servers take ages if you ping their names, if you ping there IP it's fine.

Kind Regards

Andy

That has name resolution written all over it. If you ping by IP, there is no name resolution. If you ping by name, the name is resolved to an IP through DNS.

If this is the only DC, and it points to itself for DNS, then it likely isn't registering in DNS. The netlogon service starts before the dns service. Try this:

net stop netlogon
net start netlogon
ipfonfig /registerdns
nbtstat -RR

This should get all the entries for the DC registered properly. Try pinging again and see if you notice an improvement.

I will do that but we have 2 DC's, Win2k servers, Exhange 5.5 (NT 4 OS), Win98 and Win2k clinets.

I agree the symptoms show all the signs of a DNS problem.

The previous tip is a great tip if you do not have any _SRV records in DNS.

If you do have _SRV records then check the DNS configuration on the TCP/IP properties of both client and server machines.

See more about DNS here.

Guy Thomas

'Best Practice' Ezine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back