Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD 2003 DNS name using OU's

Status
Not open for further replies.

teksaint

MIS
Jul 31, 2002
US
Hello,

If I have a PC that has is a dns name of pc1.domain1.company.com and I want to collapse this sub-domain within a new AD forest by placing it under an OU in the root domain, can it keep it's original DNS name? For example:

The original DNS name is pc1.domain1.company.com. In the new AD forest I want it to be an object in the domain1 OU, under the root domain of company.com. So intstead of domain1 being a child domain, I want it to be a OU. I know the CN name will change, but can I use the original DNS structure?

This is being done so we can keep our original DNS domain structure, but perform logical seperation using OU's rather than multiple sub-domains.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
Scott

Im pretty sure that even that win2k3 AD holds the DNS in AD, there is no relation between your AD layout and DNS layout.

Configure them seperatly.

MVH Nicolai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back