Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Actuate and XML files

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcusick

Programmer
Dec 26, 2006
US
I have an actuate report that generates an XML file.

My report is made up of 12 sections grouped together (for each record number) and all have different data streams and generate their own data sections. Each of these sections make up the whole report for one Record number. Does the XML being generated in each section jsut keep concatinating together? I would like to know if it is possible to get the XML data but have it in a "HOLDING" area until all the 12 sections have been processed, then at the end if the 12 sections have no missing XML sections then it is good and can be added to the final XML file.

I did not create this report but I am tasked with finding out if this level of error handling is available.

In the Sub Finish() of the NewReportApp, I've noticed the v.generateXML(OrigFileName, me, "") line... I'm assuming that the me is where all the XML code is being stored until the end when it is all mashed together and put into the XML file by the generateXML procedure... is this a correct assumption?

Tom Cusick -

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein

Tom,
From what you have described, someone has overridden the default XML processing to disallow the output unless certain conditions are met. I would look for the definition of v (as in v.generateXML) to see what they wrote.

Oops, just found your earlier post with the definition of v.
Okay, to answer your question, the XML for the entire report is generated into one file since the visitor is defined at the AcReportSection level and uses "me" as the root in the call to GenerateXML. That means, at the end of the report there's one process that spits out the XML for everything - it's not collected during the running of the report.
Does that help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back