Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ActiveX - Winsock control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snappy2873

Programmer
Mar 29, 2002
US
Definition of Winsock:
"The Winsock control shipped with Visual Basic is the very powerful tool. It allows implementing any Internet network protocol inside of your application. In comparance with any other ActiveX controls the Winsock control takes great deal of job. However the situation will be fully under your control and you won't depend on the mistakes of other control's developers. As soon as you have gotten basic knowledge of network protocols and principles of communications you can make virtually any kind of Internet applications. Just stay with me and I guarantee an attractive journey trying to explain how to program Winsock control and how to use it in order to implement any of the most widely used Internet protocols such as HTTP ( FTP, NNTP (News), SMTP and POP3 (Mail)."

I have two ActiveX controls on a form, inside an Access 97 application. At the click of a button, the controls are called to basically make an update to a record in the database. Is it possible to "plant" controls like "Winsock" to gain remote access over the gateways and firewalls of a network? I ask this question because I'm the new analyst for a software company and I'm documenting all programs along with their source code because of "problems" in the past. We've had some weird changes in code and server crash situations happen all to often up here since the old DBA/Analyst left us. If anyone has heard of or used ActiveX controls to gain remote access to a network or application I would greatly appreciate any feedback concerning this issue.
Thanks,
Snappy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back