Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ActiveX Dll Error 430: Object does not support automation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag

Programmer
Nov 5, 1998
GB
Has anyone had any experience of the following error:<br>
<br>
VB 6.0, NT 4,SP4<br>
<br>
A data access project (Standard EXE) using ADO 2.1. with a reference to an ActiveX DLL.<br>
<br>
When the project is run in the IDE or as compiled EXE and DLL on the development machine, everything runs perfectly.<br>
<br>
WHen the application is deployed to another workstation (w95 in this case), the EXE runs and at the point of calling the DLL gives the error:<br>
<br>
Run time error '430': Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface.<br>
<br>
I have searched the knowledge base and as far as I can tell, I am fine according to the MS articles (i.e. Dll project created cleanly and has never been an EXE project etc).<br>
<br>
TIA<br>
<br>
Andrew<br>

I have had problems in the past compiling an EXE on an NT 4 machine and then deploying it on a 95 machine. Strange bugs popping up in seemingly unrelated modules. I have found that re-compiling the EXE on a 95 machine usually fixes it. <br>
<br>
Hope that helps! (BTW, when I spoke with an MS Cust. Service Rep, they denied strenuously that I should have this problem moving between their OSs, so I'm not surprised you found no documentation on it.)

Thanks for the reply.<br>
<br>
In this instance it turned out to be the fact the the default interface for ADO appears to be 2.0 not 2.1. Therefore if you reference 2.1 in the project and use the Package and Deployment wizard (that packages the default 2.0), there is an obvious mismatch once deployment takes place. No problem if 2.1 is installed on the destination client, but behaves as per original post otherwise.<br>
<br>
Andrew<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back