Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ActiveX controls not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

capone67

Programmer
Nov 6, 2000
CA
Hey Gang

I have been working with ActiveX controls for the past few weeks. I figured out how to get them to run on systems by lowering the security setting in IE. This has worked on systems that have VB installed on them. Now when I try to run them on systems without VB installed they don't appear. Is there something in my setuppackage that I need to specify that VB doesn't do automatically?

TIA

Ken

There are two things that you need to do:
1. In the package tools, there is a setting to signify your code "safe" - don't know exactly where it is (it has been a long time since I did this)

2. Purchase a certificate / something or other ??? from a registered agency that deals with this kind of thing??

A bit hazy, but this is my recollection from a while back.

Are you just using this on an intranet?? If so, it may be easier to just go round and install the components on all of the machines??

Simon

Hi Simon

I have it marked as safe for scripting. And safe for something else at the same time. It's propmts you for that as the very last thing to set. The only thing it is doing is accessing a database so it is safe for scripting. As for the certificate I have lowered the security level to minimum temporarily.

We are only in testing phase and unless you know how to get to the control there is no way that you are gonna find it by accident.

I am using the MS flex Grid control and the MS Calendar control as well. Could these be the culprits? I have 3 differnt controls and none of them are working. Only one of the controls uses the grid and calendar.

One of them is a simple control with 2 combo boxes, two list boxes and 3 buttons and still doesn't work. I am doing database acesses though without using the data control.

TIA

Ken

I did some testing over the weekend with my ActiveX control and still have not come up with any solution to this problem. What I have discovered is that my control doesn't work when you access the web page but when I install VB on the system it "magically" begins to function. Is there something in the packaging and deployment wizard that I have to specify? I did get an error that no dependencies could be found for one of the DLLs. I think it was mdao???/.dll.

Any leads on this would be muchly appreciated.

Ken

Capone , i think you just answered the problem yourself with the last posting..

DAO is the database access engine, thus if you dont have this you wont be able to gain access to the database..

When you install VB it automatically installs DAO and ADO, try getting just DAO i think it goes under mdac(microsoft data access components) from the ms website and put that on a machine without vb... then try out your controls

I think this will solve your problem

Peter

Hi Peter

I tried installing MDAC. It didn't fix anything. Any other suggestions?

Ken

Final solution was to call MS and talk to them. If anyone would like an explanation of the solution feel free to coantact me.

Ken

Can you post it?? If not, can you e mail me?? swilliams@paragon.bm

Simon

Hi Simon

Here is the dialogue I had with another that was working on the same problem. I think it covers all of my problems but let me know if you would like more info.

Ken

I ended up calling Microsoft and there were a
few things that were wrong. I needed to compile to binary and I needed to include license information because MSflexgrid is a control that requires a license. As well I had to create an LPK file. After that I needed to deal
with msrdo20.dll not being included automatically by the Package and Deployment wizard.

hi ken,
i forgot about the binary option i rmeeber checking that after i had problems also. but where do you include license info? and what is an lpk file?

Hal

The liscence info stuff is in the project properties. You check the require liscence key option. The you need to make an lpk file using lpk_tool.exe, it is part of Visual Studio. Do a search for it. It takes a bit to come up when you run it. Then select your OCX from the list and click save and exit. Then when you package your project the HTML file that is generated will have an object that refers to lpkfilename.lpk. Take this object out of the comments and substitute in the name you gave your lpk file. The girl at MS made it a point of telling me that the lpk obeject needs to come first as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back