Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ActiveX Controls not showing in Tools-Options-Controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlyn

Programmer
Sep 3, 2003
US
Hi,

Using Win10Pro and VFP9sp2, I am not getting a list of ActiveX controls when ticking "ActiveX Controls" under Tools-Options-Controls. It goes out looking for them for about 2-3 seconds and returns nothing... blank. I tried it on another Win10 machine and it brought back a large list. Note both "Insertable Objects and Controls" in the show section is ticked.

Therefore I uninstalled VFP and reinstalled with same issue. Any ideas?

Also note there is nothing listed when the "Visual class libraries " is ticked. (maybe related)

And, I can add a visual class library if I manually add it. And it persists. When trying to add an ActiveX control manually by navigating to a control and selecting it, it returns nothing...

Thanks,
Stanley

Wonder if it's something in the Windows settings "protecting" you from dangerous stuff.

Tamar

Hi Tamar,

Same empty results after disabling Defender's "controlled folder access" and adding vfp9.exe as an exception to it. No other malware or virus protection on this machine. No other known issues from VFP or anything else. VFP is also successfully running activeX content with absolutely no issues. Any idea on what to check or try?

Here is my explanation for those wondering why we are not protecting our machines with commercial tools... I've been testing this (native Win10 feature) for several months now and have found it very effective in stopping processes from changing files, which is what Ransomeware does. Note that other computers on our lan are protected by Sophos heartbeat endpoint software (expensive) communicating with the Sophos XG perimeter router (again expensive). But, NOT expensive compared to having your data hijacked...

Thanks,
Stanley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back