Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ActiveX controls in IE6 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

inspectorfox

Programmer
Nov 28, 2002
US
I'm running Microsoft IE6 on Windows XP Pro SP1
Version- 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828-1920
I'm getting the following alert message -
"Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on the page. As a result, the page may not display correctly"
I tried changing the security settings of my browser but the alert still keeps repeating. I always get this alert message when I visit the Microsoft Windows Update site: Thanks,
InspectorFox

I have the same problem. I have 2 computers with WindowsXP Pro installed. Both are running IE6. One generates the error "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on the page. As a result, the page may not display correctly", but the other does not. I have changed the security settings to as low as possible and I have even added all the websites (suggested by Microsoft) that are needed for Windows Updates to my "Trusted Zone" with no restrictions, at all. Yet, I still get the same error message. This happens mainly with certain Microsoft sites, like Update, Photo Sharing, etc., but it does happen with a few other non-Microsoft sites. I followed the 'General troubleshooting for script errors' that was suggested but it did not do any good. Microsoft does not seem to believe that this problem exist. Any other suggestions? Does anybody know the Registry entries that I could change manually? It seems that whatever changes are being made in the "Internet Options" dialouge box under the Security tab are not being applied to the system.

Don't know if this helps, but I had a similar problem, however mine was related to Active X controls in VB6 too. I had a mismatch with a file called Comcat.dll. Do a search on Comcat.dll and see what comes up. I had 2 versions, 5.0 and 4.71. Somehow 5.0 got installed and I needed 4.71.

First I tried to re-register ( with regsvr32 ) the 4.71 one file, but that did not work. What fixed it was to go to Run and type in "regsvr32 /u comcat.dll" (with out the quotes and with a space after 32). This un-registered all the comcat.dll's. Next I renamed the 5.0 one comcatdll.old and then highlighted comcat.dll version 4.71, Shift key/right clicked to bring up the Open With window( if have NT4 ), click on the "other" button and go to c:/winnt/system32 and look for Regsvr32, click Open then OK - to register the correct dll. This not only fixed by VB6 components problem but also fixed my Active X Security problem. Hopefully this may help others.

Skimmers [thumbsup2]

I tried your answer Skimmers, but windows xp kept replacing the comcat.dll ver 5.0 as soon as I would delete it, even after I unregistered the dll. I tried renaming the comcat 5.0 and then immediately registering the 4.71 version. Then I tried unregistering 5.0, renaming it, copying the 4.7 to the windows system 32 folder and registering that one. This appeared to work but when I checked the version of the comcat.dll now in the system folder it was version 5.0.... Help!!!

OK, did some further research and found the following. On a windows NT4 machine ( which I have ) the following is needed. Comcat.dll version 4.71 works with Ole32.dll version 4.0. For Windows XP Comcat.dll 5.0 is needed if your version of Ole32.dll is 4.71.
slowchoas - i would check which version of Ole32.dll you have and I suspect it should be Ole32.dll 4.71, which means you need Comcat.dll 5.0 and the problem may be in the version of Ole32.dll ( you may have 2 versions ).

Sometimes this stuff will drive you crazy.

Hope this helps....skimmers [thumbsup2]

Hello,

I have the same message from
when I try to run their virus scan..I don't get it on their home page. When I click on the link to get the scan up... I get the same terrific message. I have tried everything I can to change things as well.

Surely would appreciate a solution.

jeturner

I checked my files:

ole32.dll version 5.1.2600.0
comcat.dll version 5.0.2600.1

I get the activex setting message on some pages but not on the update pages.

Jeturner

Here is what I found on one of the Microsoft Newsgroup Sites from M. Spyridakis. You may find something within these articles that can help......
Err Msg: This Page Provides Potentially Unsafe Information to an ActiveX
Control

For a few alternatives/instructions to restoring that file see these KB's
(i think this first one sounds pretty close to what you describe)
PRB: MSDN Library Topics Display ActiveX Control Warning

Here is a more recent suggestion for NT4 users
Error Message: An ActiveX Control on this Page Is Not Safe

If you still have problems after that is all straight, triple check your
Browser security settings.

ActiveX Security Setting Changes Automatically After Upgrade

Description of Internet Explorer Security Zones Registry Entries

Troubleshooting Active Content in Internet Explorer

Hope this helps.....skimmers [thumbsup2]

I'm having the same problem helping a family with windows XP home version.

MSN messenger and hotmail timeout.

Windows update gives the "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on the page. As a result, the page may not display correctly" error message. Changing browser security settings does not help.

Windows messenger (instant messaging) does work.

Any help please reply to mickane01@hotmail.com

Thanks

Installed the Opera browser.

Hotmail works, as does MSN through web client (not through MSN messenger).

Personal Banking was also not working and now is.

Windows update - still no luck

RE-installed IE 6 (sp1) - still no luck

I'm glad to see that I am not alone with this problem. Maybe the shear number of people with this problem will push Microsoft into generating a fix.

As to my system, all my dll's seem to be correct versions. I finally gave up and downloaded the free version of Opera. It does not work with Microsoft Update site but I no longer get the error anywhere else...

I am having this problem.

Any solution yet?

Thanks,
Michael

I think I found the only fix for this problem... I'll just have to use Netscape or Opera. Why doesn't Microsoft admit that this is a problem. It seems that it's fairly common.

I experienced exactly the same problem, but with Windows 2000. It has just resolved itself after I installed Internet Explorer Service Pack 1.

I just was at a customer who had upgraded to IE 6 and then couldn't log into certain secure servers. This on win98se.

So it seems it effects all Windows.
I couldn't find a solution.
She had gone back to IE 5 but still no fix.
I even installed windows over itself.

Michael

Can you just re-download ActiveX Controls?
I even tried the Https:// and i get a "this page cannot be displayed" on windows update.

Go to Tools\internet options\security\custom level.......The first 5 opt5ions are ActiveX controls

You should set these to :-

enable
disable
disable
enable
enable

Scroll down to the bottom and under "scripting" you should enable "active scripting"

Also go to Tools\internet options\advanced and make sure

enable install on demand (internet explorer)
enable install on demand (other)

are both unticked....this will protect you from "drive by downloads" by browser hijackers

Check the date and time on your computer is correct

steam

If this post helps you please remember to click the Star......

What a relieve to hear I'm not the only one. I busted my #SS for the last two days trying to figure it out. I can also not get onto any https sties. Does this occur for everyone as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back