Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ActiveX controls - Excel 2010 to Excel 2013 Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajh1

Programmer
Apr 22, 2010
US
I got upgraded to a new computer at work last week and among the things that shifted was they updated my Office suite from 2010 to 2013. I have several Excel programs that in use by our production engineers and typically they use a combination of ActiveX controls, primarily combo boxes and command buttons. When I first tried the program shortly after the upgrade, whenever I clicked on a control, either to open the dropdown list in a combo box or a command button to activate it, instead of the control functioning properly, the font size in the control would enlarge. The control size itself remains constant. After a bit of a surprise and several more clicks the font (and the down arrow in the case of the combo box) grow to the point where they are simply a blur.
Now here is the interesting part, after some discussion we loaded Excel 2010 on in addition to 2013. The program ran fine in Excel 2010 as expected since that was where is was developed. I then happened to start the program up again in Excel 2013 and it ran fine. I shut the machine down and then started it again, brought up Excel 2013 without opening 2010, and again the controls worked fine.
I also happen to have Excel 2013 running as part of Office 365 on my personal Surface and the program always appeared to work fine there. I had tried it there some time ago because of reports of strange behaviors with macros as our support staff evaluated the 2013 update process. The majority of my Excel coding is in VBA.
So the question is: Has someone else experienced something like this? Is there a known bug in Excel 2013 such as some obscure DLL, etc. not getting loaded with the Excel 2013 installation but is part of the Excel 2010 installation process and is not zapped by 2013?
For now, it appears that I'm working okay but it may become a clue to assist some of our other staff in getting their programs running after conversion.

Thanks.

Al..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back