Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ActiveX Controls Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFTechie

MIS
Oct 24, 2001
I need help, every time I restart my computer (WinME)this error message pops up:

Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly.

I tried to open IE (6.0) and still I get this error message. I tried going to tools>options>security> and it will not let me change the security settings. I tried opening windows explorer and still get the same error message.

Does this mean I might have a virus? arghhhh!!!

Check Tools Internet Options..security custom level etc...should be self explanatory

Thanks for the suggestion. I originally checked the security setting in IE and it would not let me make any changes. I wasn't even able to open explorer, Norton antivirus, make connection to the internet, etc.
I finally found the solution to my misery, I went ahead and did a "system restore", which brought the computer back to a state prior to installing one of those windows updates. Once Win ME sucks!
Luckily I didn't have to wipe my computer and lose everything.
Thank you all for your support.
DM

hi, i was wondering SFTechie, how you managed to fix this problem. my friend is experiencing a similar problem, and he is unable to access...anything. he can't click the start menu and simply can't access system restore. it would be great if you could help me out, thanks.

Hi Jayoh,

Sorry for not responding back earlier, I was out a couple of weeks.
Tell your friend to start the computer in SAFE mode and perform the system restore function. Make sure the restore is to a time prior to when the issue started.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back