Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAS and Using variables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaydub

Technical User
Mar 24, 2002
US
I am Trying to use this comand to rename and relocate a file using a macro. If I do this it works.

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _
"P:\PHX Station\Station Supervisors\Ramp Schedule\Weekly Ramp Schedule3-31-02 to 3-15-02.xls" _
, FileFormat:=xlNormal, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", _
ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, CreateBackup:=False

But I would like the location and file name to be in a variable I call strNewLoc. I can't get it to work at all. It tells me that ithe file is in use or doesn't exist. Run time error 1004. Below is the code that won't work. datEnd and datStart are dimed as date.

strNewLoc = "P:\PHX Station\Station Supervisors\Ramp Schedule\Ramp Schedule" & " " & datStart & "-" & datEnd & ".xls"

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _
strNewLoc _
, FileFormat:=xlNormal, Password:="",WriteResPassword:="", _
ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, CreateBackup:=False

datEnd and datStart are dimed as date.

strNewLoc = "P:\PHX Station\Station Supervisors\Ramp Schedule\Ramp Schedule" & " " & datStart & "-" & datEnd & ".xls"

do a msgbox strNewLoc before the ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs call.
I am suspecting that there are unwanted slashes ("/") introduced when concatinating the unformatted dates.
you may want to format the dates first.
ex. Format$(datStart, "m-d-YY")

The problem is the "\" in the file NAME! Excel does not allow that. Change the date variables to string variables and use a date format that uses "." instead of "\" and all should be well.

I just discovered InputBox and used it in my macro that used dates for file names (that is how I know what the problem is and it took a non-macro writer to figure it out.)
strR_Num = InputBox("What is the Rebate Number?")
Format for date with . instead of \ --
.NumberFormat = "mm.dd.yy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back