Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

activesync with i930 HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

drnick5

Technical User
Jan 22, 2007
US
I just got a Nextel i930 phone and I'm trying to get the wireless activesync to work but am having no luck with it. I checked all my setting in the phone (user name and password are right, as well as the domain name) I have the right ip address of my exchange server but my i930 keeps giving me an error HTTP_403.

I made sure my domain account is set up to use mobile devices, and even went in and checked off the unsupported devices box. but I'm having no luck at all. I tried it with SSL and without SSL checked on my phone.

I can connect to OWA no problem using any computer that has internet access. keep in mind the i930 doesn't use windows mobile 5, I'm running windows mobile 2003 second edition version 4.21.1088 (build 15206.3.1.0)

the exchange server is exchange 2003 on a windows 2003 SBS.

You need to disable the cert check on the phone.

Also verify that you have all security in IIS setup correctly.

Default Web site
Enable Anonymous access
Integrated Windows Authentication
Exadmin
Require SSL
Require 128 bit
Exchange
Basic Authentication
Default Domain \
Exchange-oma
Basic Authentication
ExchWeb
Enable Anonymous access
Require SSL
Require 128 bit
Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync
Scripts and Executables
Exchange Application Pool
Basic Authentication
Default Domain DomainName
OMA
Scripts Only
ExchangeMobileBrowseApplicationPool
Basic Authentication
Default Domain DomainName
Public
Basic Authentication
Default Domain \
Require SSL
Require 128 bit

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

I clicked the link, but its showing me how to add a cert to my phone.. not how to disable certs...it also says that that article is for Microsoft Pocket PC 2002 Software Standard Edition and Microsoft Windows CE Platform Software Development Kit for Handheld PC 2000.... is this the right link?

if it is, the file I downloaded (addrootcert.exe) has a readme file telling me to place that file on my phone, export the cert from my computer and import it to my phone.

as far as the IIS stuff, I'll have to check on that tomorrow at work.

hehe, I thought so, ok I downloaded the file and followed the instructions and I now have cert checking turned off. I'm still getting the same error. any other ideas?

I'm not using a server name but rather using it's public IP directly. I don't think the MX records would matter. Am I wrong?

the only thing, and not sure if this matters, is my exchange server polls our POP server for e-mail every 15 minutes. Not sure if that should matter because I'm trying to get into exchange to to get whats there, not trying to go into the POP server directly.

I'm not even so much worried about getting E-mail (although it would be nice) I'm most concerned about getting my calender appointments and tasks to sync wireless with activesync

OK, so you are using IP. How is IIS configured though?

Do you have a public IP that uses NAT to a local IP or is the local IP also the public? What IP is IIS set to use for the default site?

I assume you are using SBS since you mention the POP3 connector. Why are you not delivering directly to your Exchange server? Do you have port 25 open? What other ports are open on your firewall? For ActiveSync and OWA you need to have port 80 and 443 open.

Regards,

Mark

We have a public up that uses NAT to a local IP, We currently only have one IP so IIS is using that same IP for the default site.

We are using the POP3 connector right now for redundancy, we currently have just the 1 server (SBS) running everything, so if that went down, no e-mail would get through. at least right now, if our server went down, all our mail would be stored on our remote host, and when exchange got back up and running will grab all of that form the POP3 server.

Port 25 is open, as well as port 80 and port 443. I'm checking my Sonicwall logs and I don't see it blocking anything. so it appears I'm getting through my firewall (meaning it doesn't appear to be a port issue)

seems like an exchange or IIS issue.

ok, after looking in IIS, I changed the setting for OMA, microsoft-server-activesync and exchange-OMA. now, after changing the "directory security" tab I changed the bullet to grant access from disable access. when I tried to Sync next it seemed to get farther in the sync process. it will now make an alert that says,

"INFO, your device can synchronize items as they arrive, keeping you always up to date. woudl you like activesync to adjust your schedule to keep you up to date?"

I click yes and it has options on when to sync the phone, I click on done and another alert pops up

"ALERT, to synchronize items as they arrive, you must supply the delivary address information for your device in activesync options. select OK to continue"

I hit ok, and it bring me to the bottom of the "server settings" the only thing I haven't filled out is "text message address" (what is this? what should I put here?)

after hitting done it brings me back to the first activesync screen, and still shows the error, with nothing synched, I feel like I'm almost there, and I really appreciate your help so far.

OK, so it sounds like your security was misconfigured in IIS. If you refer to my original post on that subject you should verify all settings to be sure they are set properly.

Since you do not have WM5 you will not want to sync items as they arrive unless you have a data plan that does not charge for SMS messages. The way that sync works is your PPC will get a SMS message and that will force a sync. This can be very costly. I suggest you sync every 10 minutes or so during peak hours.

Regards,

Mark

ok, I went back to your original post and went through IIS again. the only thing I'm not sure what you mean is when you say
Basic Authentication
Default Domain\

other than that all the settings are set as you say they should be.

right now everytime I hit sync it gives me that INFO alert asking if I want to sync items as they arrive. but that probably has to do with my phone, I can't seem to get that to turn off.

ok so after going through all this, I get that alert now, but I still don't seem to be syncing correctly.

what should my username and passwrod be under "enable anonymous access"? the username now is set as "IUSR_SERVERNAME"

You need to provide your domain credentials.

Set the default domain box in IIS to have a value of a backslash which indicates the current domain.

Regards,

Mark

ok I made those changes to EXCHANGE and PUBLIC (changing the default domain box to \. I had my domain name in there before (domain.local for exchange and just domainname for public)
I tried synching again and still not having any luck. The other thing is now when I go to use outlook on my computer at work, it makes me type in my password (as opposed to using my domain credentials.

any idea of what else I can try? its still giving me the HTTP_403 error.

I've been trying to poke around on other forums as well... and 2 things I saw caught my eye, mabye you can shed some light on if these matter or not

someone said

"if OWA does work and ActiveSynch still doesn't - try from a normal web browser:

- you should get redirected to OWA. Essentially this is what Activesynch is using. If you get a 404 or some other error on /oma than it will never work and you'll need to troubleshoot your reverse proxy / firewall."

--with this, I'm a little unsure of what he means by " what is tld? is domain my full web address (say my web address is I'd put in or am I wrong?

to go to my OWA I use mail.tomsmith.com and it works fine, trying or doesn't do anything either, just gives me a 404 error.

someone else said

"So for SBS, in IIS Configuration, Under Default Web Site, if you right click on Microsoft-Server-Activesync and go into properties. Go to Directory Security, Click Edit for Authentication and Access Control. At the bottom. Put the domain name in Default Domain (no .org) and leave realm blank. Make certain this is correct. For me it was incorrect as soon as it was fixed, everything worked great."

now, in this one I'm not sure what he means by domain name (no org.) does he mean in the default domain I put (with no .com)?

tld=top level domain.

Try using:

now, in this one I'm not sure what he means by domain name (no org.) does he mean in the default domain I put (with no .com)?

Here they are talking about using the friendly domain name for your AD.

For example the DNS domain name may be tomsmith.local or tomsmith.com but the domain you login to is just tomsmith.

Regards,

Mark

ok, so or owa, neither of them work (I get a 404 error in my web browser)

thanks for clearing that up for me... I knew it was probably a stupid question ;-)

that being said.. I'm still not able to get active sync to work... getting sort of fustraited. I REALLY can't tell you how much I appreciate you trying to help me through this. is there anything else you can think of?

If neither OWA or OMA work then you need to look at what ports you have open on your firewall. Make sure you have 80 and 443 open. Check Windows Firewall and any hardware firewall you may have.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back