Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active X Viewer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

welshone

Programmer
Jul 30, 2001
GB
Hello,
I hope somebody can help, or point me in the right direction.

When running crystal reports through Asp pages I am using the SmartViewer for Active X.
It works on some computers, but some just show a blank page ?

I have looked on the seagate knowledge base and they mention something about IIS security, I have changed the viewer permissions to none, but still doesn't work.

any ideas ?

thanking you in advance

I feel your pain... Question, on the machines where it works, does it download the viewer correctly?? Or was the viewer already installed? From InterNet Exployer, got to Tools -> Internet Options, Settings Button, View Options Button.

If the viewer downloads to the machine, your server is most likely setup correctly.

The problem I have is my server will download the viewer to a WIN98 machine, but not a WIN2000 machine. However, if I change the link for the smartviewer location from my server to Seagates, the viewer downloads correctly! <Sigh>

Hi csirman,

what is the link for the seagate server viewer ?

I@ll try that, if this works, then does it suggest that the intranet server I am using is not setup correctly ?

cheers

check the security settings on the client machines go into internet options / security / custom level and make sure that downlaod active x controls is set to promt or enable

they are set,
under windows 2000 server machines everything works fine,
but if the crystal server is nt4, it fails

All client computers are set correctly.
is there anything that needs to be set on the server ?

this is a snippet of the active X viewer I am using :

<BODY BGCOLOR=#c6c6c6 LANGUAGE=VBScript ONLOAD=&quot;Page_Initialize&quot; >
<OBJECT id=CRViewer style=&quot;WIDTH: 100%; HEIGHT: 90.07%&quot;
codeBase=/activeXViewer/activexviewer.cab#Version=2,2,4,28 height=&quot;90.07%&quot;
width=&quot;100%&quot; classid=CLSID:C4847596-972C-11D0-9567-00A0C9273C2A>

the activexviewer.cab is installed at that location.
does it make a difference is the versions are different ?
(not that mine are, but just a suggestion)

This is the code snipit I used that worked everytime... but the viewer is not downloaded from my server. I did this as a test to see if I could get it to work.

<OBJECT ID=&quot;CRViewer&quot;
CLASSID=&quot;CLSID:C4847596-972C-11D0-9567-00A0C9273C2A&quot;
WIDTH=100% HEIGHT=95%
codebase=&quot;<PARAM NAME=&quot;EnableRefreshButton&quot; VALUE=1>

I have tried changing to the seagate viewer, but it still comes back showing a blank page. ?

Just doing some more investigation and this could be firewall security problems.
if you are going through a firewallthe following files should be allowed to download :

.etf
.emf
.epf
.cab
.tmp
.rpt

that code snippet worked!!
what i did was typed the url in my browser and downloaded the cab file to my machine, i then put it on my web server and changed the link to the cab file accordingly (see below)

<OBJECT ID=&quot;CRViewer&quot;
CLASSID=&quot;CLSID:C4847596-972C-11D0-9567-00A0C9273C2A&quot;
WIDTH=100% HEIGHT=95%
CODEBASE=&quot;/viewer/activeXViewer/activexviewer.cab#Version=8,0,0,227&quot;>

cheers!!!

so you downloaded the cab file from Seagate, then saved that into your c:\program files\seagate reports\viewers\activeXviewer\ directory. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back