Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active x viewer in version 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvsql

Technical User
Apr 3, 2003
CA
We have one server running Crystal Enterprise 8 Standard and have a simple website that has a list of reports. All users can print these reports using CE's default active x viewer.

I installed Crystal Enterprise 9 Standard on a new server and added the ?init=actx so that the reports will print using active x instead of the ugly DHTML viewer. The same users on the same PCs cannot use the new active x viewer. They are prompted to install the active x viewer, but when they click yes, it opens again, they click yes and then it says it failed.

If they were able to download and run the old version of the active x, why can they not do this with the new version? Can we not take this installation away from the user and simply apply the active x viewer to all the PCs manually and have that affect every user that logs into that PC?

I have applied the latest SP for CE9, but it's still an issue. I did have this issue on CE 8 after a service pack was installed, but as soon as I uninstalle it, it started working again.

I am working through this myself; my current guess is that the user is not admin of the pc; perhaps they used to be admin and are not anymore?

The user isn't admin and never will be. Does this mean we can only have admins install and use the viewer? Yuck. I've managed to fix the issue in citrix by logging into the server as admin, installing active x, logging out, then logging back in as regular user and they can use the active x. My issue now is all the non-citrix users ie our hundreds of PCs that run local IE. There's no way I could go to each workstation, log in as admin, then have them log in.

I only had this problem on one windows 2000 PC so far. Everyone else seems to be able to install fine. Most of our users are on windows XP so it could be windows version dependant.

Lisa

not a lot out there on this one...try this: thread782-588268, suggests switching viewers to dhtml, with some caveats. You might consider running this one by crystal decisions.

Hi,
Assuming that users are using IE ( 5.5 or later) try this:

Right-click the IE icon, goto Properties..Temporary Files..Settings..Objects and remove any Crystal Viewer objects.

Then try accessing a report - it should install the newer version.

[profile]

I have it running on Win2K without any issues. Of course I am the admin on my local PC. For most companies I have dealt with the users have admin privilages to their local machine which may be why we have not heard of too many others with the problem.

If the IE 5.5 suggestion does not work can you push the install out to all of the PC's?

--Guyute

We are using Win2K and most of our users are not Admins, rather they are "Power Users". The Active X viewer installs nicely for them.

However, in CE9 there was a problem with the installation of the ActiveX viewer, it would prompt every time to update the Parameter dialog controsl (or something to that effect). This has been recently been fixed with a hot fix. See the Business Objects (renamed CD) web site, look up hotfixes in the downloads page, download the current monthly ActiveX hotfix, and read the release notes PDF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back