Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Sync 3.1 Crashes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niall22

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2000
CA
I'm pulling my hair out over here trying to figure this out.
Does anyone know what might be causing this? Everytime I try to install Active Sync 3.1 (for HP Jornada) on my Windows NT Workstation 4.0 (Service Pack 6a) it crashes. The software setup starts and copies system files into the NT system32 folder then it says "Updating System" and a Dr. Watson box comes up and says the install process has crashed. I've searched TechNet for a solution but Microsoft doesn't mention it anywhere. I've had this problem on several of our NT Workstation systems and I can't find any common reason for the crashes. Can anyone help me out or does anyone know of a good site to find the answer?

Thanks,

Niall

I am having an almost identical problem!! Someone please help. thanks!

Are you logged on to that computer with administrative rights?

Yes, the software will actually tell you if you don't have enough rights when you try to launch it. The problem is with it crashing during installation. As a work around I've had to re-image the machines it was crashing on. That seemed to clear up the problem so my guess is that certain software (I don't know which) is causing the Active Sync install to crash. I've basically given up on this. Microsoft makes no mention of it anywhere and I have yet to find anyone who knows anything about it.

Thanks anyway,

Niall

I have had a similar problem but I don't know what to do hp and microsoft seem to have no clue how to fix this either. I believe that it is a program conflict, but I have no idea which one it could be. Please anyone that can help please reply as quickly as possible.

Yeah having same issue here

Running windows nt 4.0 sp6a (hi-encryption)
office 97 plus publisher 97
visio & project 2000
norton anti virus corp ed
citrix ICA client
zetafax

Slowly removing apps trying to figure out problem

Tom Bell

When I was having the problem before. One of the computers I had trouble with had Project 2000 on it. You should try removing that first.

Good Luck!

I am also having this problem. At first I thought it was because I had the HP Jornada (handheld) plugged in while I was installing the software. But now I don't think so. I tried to go in and uninstall the software (activesync) from add/remove programs, but it wouldn't let me. It said that some log file was corrupt or damaged and that haulted the process. I also noticed that an Icon appeared under "my computer" that represented my handheld. I wanted to remove this, but I couldn't figure out how. Unlike win95/98/2000, NT 4.0 has a different way to remove devices from the system and I haven't figured out how yet. That's what I get for not knowing a lot about NT!

H E L P ! P L E A S E !

I figured my problem out. After the installation failed, I tried to uninstall what had been installed. This didn't work. It said there was an error with a install/uninstall log. So I manually deleted these keys in the registry: "mobile device", "activesync", "hp jordana". Then, I deleted the software directory from the program files directory on my c: drive. Next, I restarted the computer.
At this point, make sure:
1. The palm device is unpluged from the pc (usb or serial)

Now, rerstart. and instert the activesync cd.
It should autostart, if not, use the setup file.
As it installs, it will still hang on you, but this is ok. DO NOT END TASK the application. Hit ctrl-alt-del. Go into task manager. Hit end task, but then hit wait. Go back into task manager, hit end task, but again tell it to wait. Now, restart the computer through the start menu. If it hangs, just wait until the end task window comes up. Hit wait if it does. If it comes up again, hit end. This all sounds weird but once the computer restarts, go into my computer. Connect your device (serial only for Windows NT). Double click the mobile device icon. The activesync software will start. Choose which com port you are using, it will search, and showld find your palm device. Hope this helps. It all sounds strange, but this sequence of events somehow worked for me. It was probably all luck though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back