Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Reports on ASP.NET - licenses ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenK

Programmer
Jan 5, 2001
GB
We're looking at developing an application that runs on IIS using webforms generated via ASP.NET / C#.
Previously we've made use of Crystal Reports but we know that if we continue down this route we will have a licensing issue when users are viewing reports via the web.
I'm led to believe that if we make use of Data Dynamics Active Reports that we will not be concerned with licensing.
Is this the case ?
Can we have a web application that makes use of Active Reports whereby we don't need to trouble ourselves with the issue of licenses.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Steve

You are correct. The following quote is taken from the license agreement:

"Distribution of the application(s) using ActiveReports is royalty-free, requiring no additional license fees."

Check out for more info.

The only thing you need to buy is the developer license which is a great deal cheaper than Crystal. Your company will go bankrupt trying to keep up with the licesing policies. AR seems more suitable for the small to mid-level companies.

AR is very easy to incorporate into a .NET application. They actually have real-world samples that you can download.
Support is actually prompt and helpful. Their website is legible and organized.

The people at Data Dynamics actually listen to their customers. They have a post on the AR.NET forum that is actually asking what their customers would like in the next version of AR.NET. I can't imagine Crystal or Business Objects doing something like that.

Dump Crystal. Get Active Reports.

smasaitis

I didn't know that there is a licensing issue with CR! I thought that as long as someone has a valid VS.NET license, then deployment of CR.NET applications is doable. Can someone please supply me with links to where is says there are licensing issues to end-users when viewing reports utilizing CR.NET?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back