Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory (User Profile) Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestSide2003

Technical User
Jan 22, 2003
US
Hi,

We are developing what we hope to be a high-traffic e-commerce sort of site.

We are looking for a directory type of solution. Basically we are looking for a directory solution (perhaps AD) that can exclusively handle the process of Internet users logging on and logging off our site.

Can Active Directory store usernames, passwords, and profiles for a web site? Or is it only for internal users like sharing printers and other network resources?

We would prefer not to store our usernames, etc in a sql server db, we wanted to have AD or another directory solution exclusively handle user login. Again, we are not using this for internal employees, this would be basically like an E-commerce web site so we do not know who will come to our site, but we do know we would lke to use a directory solution if possible..

Any thoughts on this,

Our environment is Windows 2000 Server, IIS 5.0, and .NET

WestSide

Have you thought about publishing certificates to authenticate the users? I am guessing you are already registered with Verisign, so I cant see a problem with setting up the users in AD and then issuing certificates to allow them to access your web server.

Anyone else agree/Disagree?

- Graeme.

Bit of info above on that...

I would also group your web users in a separate container to all the rest of your Internal users and delegate one person to admin that group. It makes it a helluva lot easier if you have one person that can issue the certificates..

Just my thoughts..

- Graeme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back