Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory trusts with NT4 Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

challiday

IS-IT--Management
May 31, 2003
GB
Can anyone help!!

I have setup a new Windows 2k Active Directory Domain with 2 Domain controllers and DHCP and DNS.

I have an old NT4 Domain and I want to migrate all the accounts to the new AD Domain. I have setup the AD migration snap in and tried to test it but I can migrate any accounts from the old NT4 domain as it's say I'm not an Administrator of the source Domain.

I guess I have to setup a trust between the 2 domains to allow me to transfer the accounts but I'm not sure how to do this. I also need both admin accounts from both domains to be able to preform administration tasks in the tursted domains.

HELP HELP HELP!!!!

First be sure that the two domains can see each other (proper DNS settings and NetBIOS resolution for NT4).
You make the trusts:
- in Windows 2000 with Windows 2000 Domains and Trusts management console
- in Windows NT4 you have to use the console for manging Users and Groups. There in the menu you will find trust relationships.
If the DCs cannot find each other domain, then check NetBIOS name resolution (if you have WINS check WINS,.., if not you can configure a lmhosts file on the DCs with the other of the other server).
For security reasons you can use passswords for trusts relationships. How?, just make them and you will be asked.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back