Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushrick

Technical User
Jun 4, 2003
US
Hi all

I work with a domain that has 8 sites configured in a spoke and hub setting. The hub being the core of my network, the spokes are T1 lines to my sites.The core has 13 DCs and all FSMO roles reside within the core. Each site has 2 DCs, 1 of the DCs has DNS, a global catalog, and is deemed the bridgehead server.

Theoretically, all bridgehead servers are to point and connect to the bridgehead server in my core. However, the KCC has identified one of my servers at a site as the main DC and all sites, incluing my core bridgehead replicate with it, as oppesed to the other way around.

I can't for the life of me figure out why this is, nor how to change it.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would like all bridgehead servers to replicate with the core bridgehead server.

Thank you very much.

Rick

Rick,

You may find these KB articles interesting:-

How to Optimize Active Directory Replication in a Large Network

The Role of the Inter-Site Topology Generator in Active Directory Replication

Description of Bridgehead Servers in Windows 2000

Ian

Ian,

First, thank you for the reply and links. I did have a question regarding the "How to Optimize Active Directory Replication in a Large Network" under the section Reduce Use of Site-Link Bridges in Your Site Configuration it states that by disabling the site link bridges I have to explecity create them. But does that also mean that I need to disable the KCC to prevent it from creating new links?

I understand if you don't have a definite answer but I would like your opinion.

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,

I think I would try running KCC during Off-Peak Hours.

Turning if off completly would seem to "open" a world of "hurt" !!

Just my opinion (Don't try this at home!!).

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back