Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

active directory not working in windows 2000 professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

tainguyen

Technical User
Oct 17, 2002
US
I had admin tool installed on my workstation. and I used MMC Console to manage remotely. i have no problem connect to the server and manage dns, dhcp... except for active directory. when i try to connect to the server it gave me the message says: server is not operational...
my tcp/ip filtering is set to permit all.
and I am frustrated with this problem since active directory is the only tool that I can use to create users remotely.
please help me

Hi, the first step is to make sure your PC is actually loging on to AD and not useing cached credentials. try to ping the fdqn of the AD controller. If you can, go to the DC and see when the last time your machine loged in is.

Check the DNS and Directory services logs on the DC and the system logs on your machine to see if there are errors.

Remeber that if the ip address of your DNS server is not the first one in the list, AD logon will have problems.

yahoo IM me if you would like, i could probably be of more help that way Doomhamur
Network Engineer

"Certifications? we dont need no stinking certifiaction."
yahoo IM handle: greater_vortex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back