Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory mobile accounts and Airport - slow login 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fizzak

MIS
Feb 6, 2003
US
We have Active Directory setup to authenticate to Win2003 servers no problem. There is an issue unique to our Macbook Pros with little documentation offered online. Issue is that if the Airport is left on during login and the Macbook is not wired into the domain, the login will take 2-3minutes from a reboot. If you log out and log in afterwards it takes 1 second.

This is not an issue on our Mac Minis oddly enough. I have tried the option "Disconnect from wireless networks when I log out" But it seems to work only on the Mac Minis.

OSX 10.4.11 and 10.5.5, all Intel.

could it be more like 90 seconds?

check the LDAP Connection Timeout value in your activedirectory.plist. i suspect that this is the culprit.

you have not said what OS versions you are using on the macMini vs the macbooks. but i suspect that the minis are using tiger and the macbooks are on leopard?

Yea it is around 90 seconds, Ill try that thanks.

so...

<key>LDAP Connection Timeout<Key>
<string>240</string>

Assuming 240 is seconds?

Yes Minis are Tiger and MBP's are Leopard.

Star to you sir, thanks. Works for Tiger, Leo is another story though.

should be ok with leo too. drop the timeout down to 10 secs, or 5 secs and see what happens.

No, it doesn't work at 1 second on Leo. Something is broken in Leo. My workarounds as stated above are to eliminate the delay. In Tiger, the option "Disconnect from wireless networks when I log out" works on 70% of our machines. The LADP Timeout fixes the Tiger machines that dont seem to respond to the Disconnect from from wireless check. Interestng enough, I had reinstalled one of these Tiger machines to find that the timeout hack was not longer needed.

Also I have a LogoutHook that works on Tiger but only works on Leo if I actually Log out and log back in, but if I restart or shutdown, It does not work. This tells me something is not being properly cached.

all curious.

i had noticed that i was getting very long log in times on leo after suspend. it went of its own accord after a few weeks and i'm sure is related in part to a mad process i was running (powerfolder) and to a security update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back