Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory migration between two Windows2003 Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

bence8810

IS-IT--Management
Jul 20, 2005
AE
Hi

We are upgrading to Global Domain at my company, so I need to move all my users and computer, etc to the new domain. I would like to do this with the least amount of interruptions, if possible. Basically we will make a trust relationship between the two domains, and then we should be able to move the data over.

What is the best way of doing this? I would like to move users over the weekend, and if possible do this with them not even realizing a thing. Is this possible?

Is there a tool to migrate the Active directory over? I saw one for migration from NT to Win2K, but that isnt my case.

Can I keep their desktops, etc User profiles intact, so I dont have to manually copy stuff over?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Ben

Hi

Thanks, it looks like it will do what it was meant for. Thanks for pointing this out.

Let me ask some other questions.

What is best to migrate users' profile over? I mean to keep all the Desktop items they have, and the emails, Internet Favourites, etc?

Will Group policies stay? I have a lot of GPOs set to do certain tasks at logon, logoff, etc, and I would like to get those when joined to the Global Domain as well.

What is best to change users' names? I need to change usernames and workstation names to match the requirements of the Global Domain.

Thanks

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back