Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory Integrated Home Directories Help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezy6902

IS-IT--Management
Jun 2, 2003
US
Hey guys/gals,
I am using the active directory home directories tab in their profile to create user home directories and i would like to configure it to create the directories with different permissions than admin full user full..

I want to configure it to admin full and the user modify instead.

Is this possible to do?

Reason being i have users on the network taking ownership and blowing out the admin access to certain directories. This results in a myriad of problems when trying to audit for space or non work related materials...

Any takers?

When a user creates a directory, they are designated the owner of that directory and have full permissions to it. What you ask isn't possible from my viewpoint.

If you wish to examine the contents without disturbing the permissions, make a backup of the user's folder and restore it to a different location. Take ownership of the restored folder and give yourself permissions. You can then look.

Start, Help. You'll be surprised what's there. A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

soundes like alot of overhead which should be able to be avoided.

I used a script to fix the permissions by taking away all the "take ownership" rights users ahve on their own directories. right now it works cool but it would be nice if microsoft allowed you to administrate this setting out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back