Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rphips

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2003
US
Hello, Boy iam i stuck - I am trying to add a new server to a exicting domain - i want this server to replicat the active directory so I can load exchange the problem is I my DNS is on the outside called Gues.com. My sever domain is called Gues.com. Users log into the domain under the domain name gues ( the problem is when I go to create active diretory as another domain controller the user account logs in under the domain gues - but when it comes to finding the domain gues I get no server found - I checked the DNSS and the name is gues.com though the domain is gues

any body got a clue or do you need more info.

thanks rphips

"Users log into the domain under the domain name gues"

Your clients are using netbios over tcp/ip and are refering to the netbios (WINS) name of your domain, not the DNS name for your domain when they log in. This is fine, but when you wish to promote a server to a domain controller, you must specify the DNS name for the domain, not the nebios name. If your domain is Gues.com then you specify "gues.com" as the domain to join, not the netbios name "gues".

To verify the DNS name of your domain, go to the DNS server for your domain. You should find a forward lookup zone for gues.com and that zone should have folders named like _tcp and the folders themselves should have SRV service records for that domain.

Thanks for the response I have check the DNS the dns domain name is gues.com and it has all the resources and SRV files located under it - but I still can't find the domain when I try to add a child domain controller

The server that you are trying to promote to a child Domain Controller needs to point to the first DC as it's DNS server under the properties for TCP/IP.

Are you doing this?

Patty [ponytails2]

thanks Patty but unfortunitly yes it is pointed to the dc but it still can't find the domain.

Please don't tell me I have to rebuild.

Also can I delete the . folder?

rphips

Does this machine have Internet access? If so you can delete the [.] and set up Forwarders to forward external requests to your ISP's DNS servers.

Can I ask what addressing scheme you are using? Are you sure that both machines are on the same subnet? Can you ping between these machines?

Patty [ponytails2]

We have a internal addressing scheme and both machines are on the same subnet 255.255.255.0

yes I can ping the server using its computer name or IP address

when I statr active directory installation and chose child it forces me to log into gues because it can't find gues.com
then when it gets to enter full DNS name it will not accept gues.com even though thats what shows up in the drop down. so I have to input gues then when it reaches disjoing gues.com domain and starts to look for the active directory it fails with

"cannot find the DC"

any suggestions

rphips

make first this system as a member in the parent domain then what ever u like to do it. hope this willwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back