Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory and Communication Error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2002
NZ
Hi
Our network administrators have just moved to AD and now I can't get into the CMC. I get a Communication Error. I have checked and all the services are running in the CCM. We are using CE 9.
Help please!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

I would suspect that the login that either the APS or the Web Content servers are using is no longer valid as it does not have admin privilages. Although you do say that all services are running.

I would at least check that. Do you have an Enterprise ID you can login with? Use that to see if it will work.

--Guyute

I had the same problem too.
Please check your server's name(Computer name). If it changed you need to change all the names of the services that are running on the CCM. After renaming the services on the properties page everything seemed to work just fine.
Hope this helps.
Good-Luck.

Thanks for your replys.
CrysUser I suspect you are right. I deleted and then re-added the WCS in the CCM and got my CMC back (ie. the communication error was fixed)
However reports are now stuck in a PENDING state when I try to run them. I'm guessing I have to delete and re-add all the servers in the CCM. Is there a way to change the server name for each server without having to delete the server and re-add it?

Hi
Recreating the remaining services with the new name worked.
Thanks for all your helpful tips

Let me add to this forum to save the agony for someone else. We migrated to AD and had most of our member servers set to "Change primary DNS suffix when membership changes", which brought about this issue. We didn't take that into account during our AD migration. We didn't have any glitches with the name changes except Crystal Enterprise. I had two instances of Crystal that ceased to function because of the name change. I struggled for a day or two looking for the answer and following the Crystal procedure just wouldn't work, so I ended up reinstalling because the application that depended on it didn't have issues with a reinstall. Later on, we changed the server name back because we have a different primary DNS system and I ran into the same issue. Same result happened....I needed to reinstall because this server was picky about the Crystal services...for some reason just changing the name didn't work and neither did removing all the Crystal services and reinstalling them. The other server I had was more important, so instead of reinstalling, we now have a whole bunch of services installed, but only half are running and those are the ones with the correct computer name. We will be moving this system back to the old name, so we're going to go through this again. For that instance, we were able to remove the Crystal services and add them back in according to the procedure and not lose anything. It just isn't very clean though. Hopefully it will not blow up on us like the last time since we will be anticipating the results from a name change. My advice is to test this a little more than usual to ensure functionality, because I was seeing mixed results depending on what version of Crystal you have and how it's set up.

Hope this helps someone......

I stumbled on this thread after having this happened to me as well. Our system admin did a DNS and name change on all our servers, including the server that hosts CE and all the Crystal Services and as a result, our Crystal Server was hosed for a few days until I got it back up. I've deleted all the old Crystal Services and Servers and re-created them with the new server name and re-established database connections and DCOM connections to great success and now all my reports and Analysis cubes run as they should. The only thing that isn't working are scheduled reports. If I select a scheduled report in CMC and select 'Run', it stays in a state of 'Pending' and never concludes. I'd hate to have to delete and re-add the servers again. What else can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back