Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Activating IDE 3+4 in stead of RAID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuCOng

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
GB
My Gigabyte GA-Z7XR has 4 IDE sockets. 1+2 are normal IDE sockets but 3+4 are RAID/ATA100 sockets.

I've disabled RAID and enabled ATA100 with the on board jumpers but although the BIOS recognises 4 IDE sockets as possible sources of boot info I can't use 3 or 4 to boot up (if i connect 3 to my HD).

Windows 98 doesn't recognise them either?

Anyone got any ideas?

I've done it!!

Just incase anyone else has the same problem this is how it's don (stupidly simlpe really):

1.Make sure that the RAID/ATA100 Promise Chipset is enabled with the jumpers.
2.Disable RAID on the second set of jumpers.

Only 1 set of jumpers allows a RAID/ATA100 Promise Chipset disable so you know which one to enable and which to disable.

After that install the driver from the mobo CD (I'm not sure this is neccessary as IDE 3 + 4 were working before I did this but it did no harm and was suggested in the Add New Harware dialog).

Ta da! 4 IDE sockets = 8 possible IDE devices.

to WuCOng:
I was so pleased to see you found a resoluation to your drive problem.I was wondering if you would use your expertise to help solve my problem.I too have a "RAID" motherboard and heve NO use for RAID.iF you would please EXPAND on the procedure.I have ABIT KG7-RAID motherboard and the manual does NOT show where jumpers are.? my objective is to use ide #3 for cd-rom or zip and ide#4 for
second harddrive.I ask for more clear directions for this because i have never done this type of procedure before.
I contacted highpoint to see if highpoint controller bios
could change all that but have not recieved a word from them.PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
YOUR FRIEND
Daniel Meza
dmez4u@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back