Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Activ Dir - remove Domain Controller 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

French

Technical User
Nov 22, 2002
US
How to remove a Domain Controller form Active Directory ?

This Server is now out of order, but its name can't be remove from "Users and Computers" \ "Domain Controllers".

And so make problems of replications in "Sites".

Use dcpromo on the computer you wish to remove.
(start-run-"dcpromo")

good answer, dcpromo is supposed to remove the dc. This is not always the case. If dcpromo doesn't completely remove then you can use (Ntdsutil.exe) (metadata cleanup)
The directory service maintains various metadata for each server in the forest. Normally, dc's are created by means of using the dcpromo and they are removed by using the same tool.
Promotion and demotion are designed to correctly clean up the appropriate metadata. In the directory, however, you might have domain controllers that were removed incorrectly. In this case, their metadata is not cleaned up.

I had the same problem this is how i fixed my problem

1. setup a server that had the same name as the domain controller that i can not remove.

2. ran dcpromo to make this computer a domain controller again and waited 15 min's

3. ran dcpromo on the computer again to demote the computer

4. remove the computer from AD Sites and Services Snap-In

5. removed computer from AD users and computers snap-in

6. The problem was fixed

sysadmin
funjobs.com

I've used ntdsutil ("select operation target" and then selected site, domain, server to delete and naming context \ and "remove selected server"). And the server has been removed.

I've enough a question:
in "select naming context", i've had:
0 - CN=Configuration,DC=my_domain,DC=fr
1 - DC=my_domain,DC=fr
2 - CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=my_domain,DC=fr

I've choosen "2". Is it the right choice ?

Thank you for all.

I have a 2000 server that we promoted to one of three domain controllers. The dcpromo didn't go well, and now we can't demote it. I've seen the Microsft awnser using ntdsuil.exe, but it's got just enough warning messages in it that I'm leary of using it. This is no longer a production server, but I'm still wondering worse case scenario. Thanks.

I recently removed a DC from the AD and (so far) it looks like it worked fine. Have a read of MS's Q216498.

Danielrnz - Interesting article!! But as you say, that is different, it is for removing AD from a server not removing the server from AD.

French - When I removed my DC using NTDSUTIL I did not select the Naming Context. Maybe it does not matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back