Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACT 6.03 synchronization - users not transferred to remote databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnBlight

Technical User
Jan 22, 2007
GB
We have a central database which synchronizes through shared folders with several users, each running his/her own database. The two most recent users to be added to the database are not being transferred to the other databases on synchronization. Each is listed as a user in their own database, and they are both on the central database. On the central database, they have the same User Settings as other users that work as expected.

Any explanations and suggested fixes would be appreciated.

Have the contacts transferred?
Are you synchronising the entire database to each remote site?
Are the remote databases on laptops or remote sites?

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

I've fixed the problem, although the detailed behaviour seemed to be slightly different for the two user records.

For one of those users, the user didn't map to the expected 'My Record' (this is on the central database). Updating a record on the corresponding 'client' database and a subsequent synchronization between that client user and the central user added a 'client user 2' user to the central database. That '<client user> 2' user did map to the '<client user>' contact 'My Record'. So I merged the users, retaining the '<client user> 2' user, and renaming it to '<client user>'. A subsequent synchronisation from the central database transferred that user to other client user databases.

There didn't seem to be that mismatch of users (on client and central databases) for the second problem user. In both instances, it seemed to require an amendment to a field in a Contact record that was recorded in the 'Notes/History' tab, referencing the user as the 'Record Manager'. I suppose this is just forcing the inclusion of the user in the next synchronisation packet that's sent to the central user database.

I suspect that the mis-matched user problem was because of the way the user was created on the central database. When creating the client user database from an empty copy of the central database, the user didn't exist. That client user was only created in the synchronisation set-up that followed.

That differs from the second user, which did exist on the central database when creating the associated client user database.

The successful distribution of users to other client databases just seems to have required a record that references such users.

I can be sure without seeing the data, but it sounds like your synchronisation might not be set up correctly.

My presonal preference would be to roll the remotes back into the master database and re-create them correctly.

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back