Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACT 6.0 and Crystal Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxGolfer

Programmer
Jul 30, 2002
US
After discovering how difficult the ACT report writer is, I'm trying to use Crystal Reports, 8.5 or 9.0 to create custom reports. When I try to establish the connection with either 8.5 or 9.0, it requests a login and password. Is this a driver issue and if so, where do I get the updated driver? Or is the login/password that I should know about. I've been to the Crystal Decisions website and could not locate a driver.
T.I.A.

Hello FoxGolfer,

The ACT! database is prompting you for your User Name and Pasword.

Regards,
Michael

Hi Michael,
I understand that but when I created the database, I didn't create a login & password. Plus, I checked under the File options and the database is not locked.
Where or what login/password is it referring to in this case?
Thanks,

Hello FoxGolfer,
When you try to connect Crystal Reports to the ACT! database and you are prompted for a user name and password, what does the title bar say? I'm hoping this will give us a clue to what program is prompting you.

Also, have you installed the latest hotfix for Crystal Reports?

Regards,
Michael

The title bar displays:
"Login to ACT! database."
So I entered the original user name, tabbed through the password and the table explorer showed all (?) of the tables. When I try to select a table for a report, I then get a "Not supported" error message. If I select the OK pushbutton, I then get a "data object cannot be opened/accessed" error message.
No, I have not installed any hotfixes to Crystal. (version 9.2.0.448) I get similar results if I try it with C.R. 8.5.

Hello FoxGolfer,
Ok, so one problem down and one to go. You will have to download and install the "HotFix" for Crystal Reports (either version). You should then be able to see the ACT! tables.

I also use Crystal Reports 9 to create reports from an ACT! database(s) and was running into the same problems you are having. Once I downloaded and installed the "HotFix" it seems to be working fine.

You will also want to download the ACT! SDK To help with field definintions, etc.

Regards,
Michael

Michael,
Thanks for your assistance. I'll try the hot fixes and see what happens. I'll let you know.
I'll be going out of town, so it may be a few days before I get back to it, but at least I now have a "direction".
Thanks again,
Tom

Michael,
It's NOT good to be home. :)
Thanks for the pointer; I'll check it out and let you know; I have to go to the client tomorrow and see what happens.
Thanks again,

Tom

Hello Tom,

How did the client meeting go?

I had to install ACT! 5 and Crystal 9 on the same machine and Crystal was able to see the ACT! tables out of the box. I will also be adding the monthly "HotFix" just to make sure.

What type of connection are you using between ACT! and Crystal? Although there is an ACT! 3.0 connection type, I have had the most luck with just a simple "Database File" connection type.

Regards,
Michael

Hi Michael,
Turns out the meeting went fine, except for the fact that they don't have CR yet. I couldn't find it at any of the retail outlets I went to, so it should be here today or Monday. The reporting is a smaller issue then the conversion and importing, which I'm doing as "we speak". I'll probably be installing CR later next week.
Thanks for the additonal info; I'll keep you posted.
Tom

Hello Tom,
How many people will have to view the Crystal Report? If the client does not want to pay for a full copy of Crystal Reports for someone to just view the report, may I suggest "Hammerlaunch".

It is a Crystal Reports viewer that is considerably less expensive than a full version of Crystal Reports. Check out this (if it doesn't work use and search for Hammerlaunch)

Now if you are looking for ACT!/Crystal Reports out of the box check this site:
Hope this helps.

Michael

I am having some problems as well. I cant even get as far as FoxGolfers first post. Maybee you can help this newbie and be more specific on exactly how you connect the Act database

Thanks

I have not solved the problem completely. After making the connection, I am unable to display the Record Manager field from Notes/History table. It's displayed as ASCII characters, as if it's encrypted. Any help, anyone??

Connecting to the ACT database was relatively simple in CR 9.0. Under Create a New Connection, you'll see a listing for ACT 3.0. I tried it and it worked. The linking of tables was another problem. I found a posting in the Crystal Knowledge Base (for CR 8.5) that displays all of the ACT tables and the fields to use for linking. (Do a search for ACT tables and it's the first article.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back