Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Act 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt75

Technical User
Aug 6, 2003
US
Have Act 2005 and would like to run it from our own sql server. Tech support tells me that I have to install act on the server where the Act database will reside. Anyone have any information about this? I have 2 act users and really dont want to have to put this on the server if it is not necessary to do so.

- Matthew Montalto

You'll need to install the program on the computer where the shared database will reside. If that database isn't on your formal server, then you don't need to.

I was told by my vendor, Insight, that I didn't have to purchase a license and load ACT 2005 on the server if I wasn't going to run the program there, just hold the database there. Looks like I got some conflicting information.......

Did your ACT vendor happen to tell you that EVERY ACTY license is good for 3 computers???? I have a 5 user license with 6 computers only using two of the license numbers!! You only need to get one license and house it all three places if you want!!! REMEMBER their job is to make as much as they can not save us money!!! :)

Yes, your ACT license may be good for 3 computers, but it also depends on what type of licensing you purchase. Your vendor probably did not tell you that if more than one computer with the same license number attempts to contact the database, one of the connections will be cut as the license can only be connected once.

According to ACT!'s website, you must purchase their license for their version of the SQL server ACT uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back