Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acrserve v9.0 (v2020) take ages to backup 6G of data

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackps

Technical User
Jul 7, 2003
HK
Dear all
I had found that Acrserve had took nearly 9 hrs to backup 6G of data from other network server! When i first install the Acrserve v.9 (2020), it tooks about 2hr15min to backup 9G of data from the same server, how come it take 9 hrs now to backup 6G of data?
Anyone had any problem like this before?
Please could someone give me a bit help on this?

Thanks alot!

Jack

1-what type of data your are backing?
2-Are there any databases like exchange,Oracle?
3-Have you applied any new pactches like MS SP?
4-what is the OS SP?
5-what is the time you are running the job is it in peak hours when users are accessing the network

1-what type of data your are backing?
2-Are there any databases like exchange,Oracle?
3-Have you applied any new pactches like MS SP?
4-what is the OS SP?
5-what is the time you are running the job is it in peak hours when users are accessing the network

Answer :
1 - The files are PDF files
2 - There is no database at all
3 - The OS running for the server which containing the directory is Windows NT 4.0 Server
4 - NT 4.0 1381
5 - Off peak hours (9:00pm - 10:00am)

I think we may be having the same problem; not only is our backup taking a very long time when backing up client agents (35Gb with one agent, 6Gb on the other agent), but n the morning when we go to see what was backed up in case we need to do a restore from the night before, it takes almost 3 hours just to completely show which files can be restored fromt the backup. Meaning, we click on the Restore option, and then it will show only a few files from the first drive as available for restore, after about 20 minutes, go back and try a restore again, and it shows the rest of the files on one drive, still have to wait longer for the agents' files....I think these two behaviours might be related?? Any thoughts?

What is the size of the database and how many free spece is left, any indication on database corruption ??
According to the backup speeds : what are the NIC settings, auto, half duplex, full duplex (most important is that all settings are the same), fast ethernet, Gigabit ethernet ??

regards

General rule for throughput problems.
Check the throughput of a local backup.
If it is slow then concentrate on the local system first.
If it is normal then try other volumes on the same system and other systems.

The idea is to identify were the problem is first. Only then will you know what to look at.

So you were backing up at around 66mb/m and now it is around 11mb/m. So if the local backup is over 70mb/m the problem is not there. If this system is the only one backing up at 11mb/m then it is a problem with that system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back