Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acrobat X Pro - extracting pages with delete ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 1999
US
I've been using Acrobat 8 Pro for several years, and my work involves taking individual PDF's that are an aggregate of records, and separarting the records and saving to individual PDF's. In 8 pro, and in 6 pro before that, it has been very convenient to Delete a header page, and in extracting each range of pages, to delete while extracting.
When I try to do this in Acrobat X Pro, if I check the option to delete while extracting, or even try to delete a page, I get an error message that "One or More pages are in use and cannot be deleted". I looked through the configuration options, couldn't find an option to change this behavior. Any advice would be welcome!

Fred Wagner

Additonal info - with Acrobat Pro versions 6 and 8, I was using Windows XP. My adventure with Acrobat X is in Win 7, with VDI, if that could be affecting the way things are working.

Fred Wagner

The problem has disappeared - not sure exactly why, but I'm glad. I tried to use the Help feature, got errors that it couldn't see the internet. Our IE setup is pretty tightly configured, so I downloaded and installed FireFox, and was able to access the Help and Forums online, and when I went to duplicate the problem to quote the error message for Adobe, the problem was gone!

Fred Wagner

Problem came back, found a reference in a locked forum on Adobe's site - many people have had the problem with Acrobat 9 and now 10, a solution appears to be to save the file as images (I used JPEG2000 - jpf), and then create a fresh file form the images - in that newly created file I can delete, and extract with deletes, like before the problem occurred.

Fred Wagner

I'm making progres, using the Windows Compatibility settings - right click on Acrobat Pro my Win7 Start menu, then click on Troubleshoot Compatibility, choose try new settings. First loop through it used WinXP SP2, then WinXP SP3, which is working a lot more like I used to have in Acrobat 8 on XP SP3 - I can delete pages in the document I'm working on, and I can Extract with Delete checked with no errors. The only anomaly left is when I do a Save As - I can't click on an existing file and make changes to the filename in the Save As window - even though I'm specifying a different filename, I get a message as though I'm about to overwrite the filename I altered, so I have to use the initial default filename offering as the basis for my new filename, and then the save process goes normally. I can live with that!

Fred Wagner

One further note - the Compatibility box settings that allow deleting and extracting pages with delete, seem to be in effect only when starting the program from the start menu. If the program is started by clicking on a PDF file in Windows Explorer, the compatibilit settings are not in effect, and the problem is back in effect.

Fred Wagner

Progress - this morning I Googled the phrase "Acrobat X Persistent File Locking" and got a link to this article -
and turning off Enhanced Security in the preferences solved the issues with deleting images, even on files where Acrobat X was launched by clicking on the file in Windows Explorer.
There's still an oddment in that saving a merged file takes longer than it used to (and these records are generally a few hundred KB)
but at least I'm not getting the erroneous error message that "One or more pages are in use and cannot be deleted".

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back