Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acrobat vs. Crystal Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

JabbaTheNut

Programmer
Jul 29, 2002
US
I am looking for a way to create a "filled-out" version of a credit application generated from data stored in a database. The application needs to be generated on the fly through VB.Net. Additionally, I need to save the filled-out version of the credit application in a finalized ("stamped") PDF format. I have been investigating the FDF toolkit, which is great for filling out the PDF document. The problem is, however, that you cannot save the filled-out version of the credit application as a stand-alone PDF file (i.e., no longer requiring the FDF file). I have seen some posts that discussed printing Crystal Reports documents to PDF using PDFWriter. Given the above circumstance, is the Crystal Reports method a good way to go? Or, is Acrobat the right way to go and I am missing something? Or, is there another method I should be using? Please help, I am in a tough spot. Thanks :) Game Over, Man!

You might try the Crystal Report 8.5 version. It has a built in "export" to PDF. ( you do not need adobe acrobat). It will export to a pdf file that you can save, emai etc.
h bailey

Thanks for your input. I have looked at the Crystal Reports 8.5 method. I like it and intend to use it. I called Crystal Decisions regarding licensing under the above scenario. They indicated that the CR license that comes bundled with VS.Net is sufficient for my needs "as long as I am exporting to PDF (i.e. not using the viewer)". I mention this because it was a major deciding factor for me. To use Acrobat would cost approximately $3,000 for licensing. To use the Crystal Reports viewer method would cost about $20,000. However, to use the Crystal Reports export to PDF method costs nothing (other than the cost of VS.Net). Game Over, Man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back