Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acrobat 7 - wrong file version 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjtechjmf

Technical User
Nov 19, 2007
US
We are using Acrobat v7 and for several reasons, we can't update to v8 or v9 right now. All users have v7.1.4 installed but when we try to open certain PDFs we get a message saying we need v7.0.9 or higher. If we click Help --> About Acrobat it says v7.1.4.

The problem is if we right click acrobat.exe and acrobat.dll, click properties and then the Version tab, it says v7.0.8.218. No matter how we update, that doesn't change. I can tell Acrobat to check for updates and it always says v7.1.0 is available. I choose to download, install and reboot but nothing changes. I have also gone to Adobe's website and downloaded each update and tried installing each update and everything goes fine until I install v7.0.9 or higher. I never get a single error during install, everything goes as expected but the file version never changes.

I also tried completely uninstalling Adobe and reinstalling in a different directory but no luck.

I've done a good bit of searching and see many others having the same problem but no solutions.

Any ideas?

Go to Advanced|Acrobat Distiller|Settings|Edit Settings|Standard and check the compatability setting. If it's set to a version of 7, change it back to 5 or 6.

Beir bua agus beannacht!

when we try to open certain PDFs

Any idea where the offending reports were created & what version they were created with? It's a long shot, but the error popup may not be entirely truthful (Egad, a bug in Acrobat?). I know it's unlikely, but might be worth checking out.
I have also seen unstable behavior when Acro Reader is installed on a machine alongside a full version of Acrobat. If this is the case, try uninstalling Reader; it's free, and with a full version of Acrobat installed you don't need it anyway.

Beir bua agus beannacht!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back