Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acquiring network address

Status
Not open for further replies.

highlysceptical

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2003
GB
For no apparent reason, one of our computers is no longer able to acquire an IP address from the DHCP server on our network (the DHCP server is a Netgear FVS318). But if I assign a static IP address to the computer, it will still work fine.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the network card, protocols etc., but to no avail.

If I connect a different computer to the same port on the router, it all works fine, so the problem is definitely with the computer. Prior to the problem occurring a couple of days ago, it had been working fine for months. I should add that the computer is running Windows XP Professional.

Can anyone suggest any way to solve this problem?

Under local connection, right click on tcpip>properties and make sure the alternate connection is not chosen. If the default is DHCP then there will be an Alternate Connection tab.

pc.gif

Jomama

Thanks Jomama46, but I have already checked this. In the end, I switched the network card, and it is all working properly again. But I haven't yet tried putting the original card back - I haven't got the time to mess about with it at the moment. But presumably, this means it must be a Windows setting problem, because immediately before swapping the card, it did not work, but as soon as I changed the card, it did.

Hello.

This is like a fault that we had with a batch of Fibre NIC's installed on some of our workstations.
We have our network devices lock the ports down so that once it has lernt the MAC Address, only this NIC can be used on the port.
The fault on the cards was that they were failing to put the correct MAC Address out. The Rom on the NIC was faulty.
These were swapped out, and we have not had the problem since.

Hope this helps.

Marty.
Fecking PC's and Windows. What's wrong with my Amiga 500+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back