Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

acpi=off problem in FC3

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewtownGuy

Technical User
Jul 27, 2007
US
Hello,

I'm running FC3 2.6.9-1.667 on an Intel Little Valley 2 (D201GLY2) mainboard. It uses a SiS964 Northbridge that isn't handled fully by this OS. This OS is handled well, however, by the earlier, Intel Little Valley (D201GLY) mainboard that uses the SiS964L Northbridge. Note the one letter difference, L, in the two chipsets.

The only way that I can boot the new board is to add the option acpi=off to the kernel startup line. Otherwise, there are problems at boot time with acpi's assigning interrupts. However, with acpi=off, the system no longer turns off power when it shuts down, and the power switch gives an immediate power off instead of initiating a graceful shutdown.

How can I fix this ? Is it possible to:

1) get Linux to think it's running on the SiS964L chipset even when it has the SiS964 ?

2) boot with acpi=off so interrupts can be assigned, then turn acpi back on once it's running so the power switch and shut down are handled correctly ?

3) boot with acpi on but tell acpi to leave interrupts alone ?

4) something else ?

I tried looking at the acpi spec, but it's hundreds of pages and way over my head. The mainboard's BIOS does not let me manually assign interrupts.

I tried adding apm=power_off apm=realmode_power_off to the kernel boot line, but it didn't help.

Thank you in advance for your help.

-- NewtownGuy

(4) Something else:

Have you tried with a newer kernel (as in: compiled yourself),
or maby a newer version of Fedora (e.g Fedora 7) ?

I tried FC7, but it does not have one of the older drivers that I need that is in FC3.

I don't know how to update or change drivers, or compile a kernel.

-- NewtownGuy

What about Fedora 8? 9 is going to be released very soon, or s already released. I'm pretty sure they have more drivers in the latest than in the older release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back