Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACP power output question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moteel

Programmer
Jun 26, 2006
SE
Greetings,
I've recently moved to a house with rather bad wiring, and the power level tends to fluctuate at times when the usage is high, I want to buy an UPS in order to not risk damaging my computer, but I'm not really sure what max output I need, considering that I don't need to be able to run solely on batteries, but only need to compensate the occasional voltage loss (which can take up to an hour or more at times).
It's not a -big- losage, other electronics (TVs and such) handle it quite normally, but the computer has some fairly high-end components and has a quite high power usage (500W source, mostly used too).
Thanks.

What you need is a Line Conditioner, not a UPS. APC makes some that we use - it's an automatic voltage regulating transformer - it automatically adjusts the taps on a transformer to keep the voltage to the PC inside normal limits despite wide swings in supply voltage.
The unit under my desk right now is an APC Line-R 1250.

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back