Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACL

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdxml12

Technical User
Oct 26, 2012
AE
Hello,

I was playing around with the concept of ACL and came across some issues. Host A and Host B can ping with no problems (they are on diff subnets) What I did was creat a standard ACL named TEST and added a deny host A from pinging host B. This worked fine. When I added several other deny statements as a test, and removed my initial deny statement for host A to ping B, I cannot ping Host B even though i removed that specific deny.

So I read and found that all ACL have a deny any by default. So what I did was to write permit any to counter the deny any, and then added a lower sequence # deny for host A to ping B.

But no matter how low i make that sequence# for the deny statement I am always able to ping host B.

So in summary,

1.Deny worked initially
2.Added other deny statements, removed initial deny specific for host a to b, cannot ping B
3.Added permit any, was able to ping Host B
4.Added lower seq deny for A to ping B, does not work, I am always able to ping host B

Where am i going wrong here?

btw, i tried doing it the other way round. Leaving that deny any, and just permitting that specific host a to ping b. Does not work.

I have attached the access list here.

ACL name is test

I applied the access list group test to int fa 0/1 IN on router one

If i remove the "permit any" the host 192.168.1.10 wont be able to go out. But even if i remove the deny 5 i still cannot ping from 192.168.1.10.

http://tinypic.com/r/wakrih/6
Never mind, simple issue with ip address, problem solved

Thanks [neutral]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back