Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACL - view folders not files

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimeScene

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2003
User needs to traverse through a parent folder to get to the sub-folder. However ..

User will not have authorization to the parent folder's contents, but is fully authorized to the sub-folder's contents.

I am trying to prevent User from seeing the list of files in the parent folder *without* preventing their ability to traverse through the parent folder while drilling-down in the Network Neighborhood window.

Setting "Traverse Folder/Execute Files" still lets User see the name of every file in the parent folder, even though they can't open the files. I'd rather them not see the files at all, but only the folder name so they can still traverse it on their way to the sub-folder.

Does anyone know how to do this?

This can be done.

On the higher level folder, go to advanced and grant your user List Folder/Read Data for This Folder and SubFolders.
Also add DENY READ to Files Only

Now go to the folder where the user SHOULD have acess to. You will need to break the Rights Inherritance. Set the permissions you want them to have there.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Sorry I didn't notice that you also wanted to hid the file names. This can not be done as far as I am aware. You can lock them out of the file contents but not from seeing the names.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for your reply. Prior to my post, I already have the ACL permissions set properly to prevent User from opening files in the parent folder, while still allowing User to traverse thru parent folder into sub-folder and open files in that sub-folder.

Thanks, anyway, for your time to reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back