Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACL to prevent multicast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave151

Technical User
Apr 29, 2005
GB
We have multicast traffic running acroos our network which provides an IP TV solution for end users.

We would like to prevent the multicast traffic (source 226.0.0.0) from reaching our WAN router which connects our branch offices to our head office. The WAN router is a manged solution provided by a service provider.

The WAN router is connected to a Cisco 6500 switch at our head office.

On the Cat6500 Cisco switch, what configuration do I need to prevent 226.0.0.0 traffic from reaching the port where the WAN router is patched to? The M/Cast traffic must be stopped before it hits the LAN interface of the WAN router so therefore stopped at the Cisco 6500 but only on the one port connecting to the router.

Any ACL configuration help would be appreciated.

i think you can turn off ip snooping or multi cast snooping, have to google the command. but this can be done on your wan router

Thanks for the reply.

Although we don't multicast traffic orginating from the 226.0.0.0 addresses, we do have other multicast traffic we would like to pass through the WAN router to the remote offices. Disabling snooping etc will kill this I persume?

The WAN router is manged and therefore I don't have access to do this. Yes the service provider could do this but it has to go through a change control process, cost implications etc and we'd like control on turning this on/off.

Sorry for not being clearer

post a scrubbed config, you will have to create an acl with that source and/or destionation deny deny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back