Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACK - boot: cannot load "flash:"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmo2003

Technical User
Oct 25, 2003
CA
Hello all,

Well, my office is now down! We have a Cisco 2621 router, that, after a reboot, emits the following....

---
[blue]System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.
TAC:Home:SW:IOS:Specials for info
C2600 platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

loadprog: bad file magic number: 0x0
boot: cannot load "flash:"
[/blue]
---

Now, the router has been up and running for a good 3 years, never causing issues. Looked on the internet, and it talked of reseating the flash, which i have done to no avail. Did a dir to see what on the box, and there is no directory files on the flash.

I called Cisco, as I started this job 4 months ago, and the previous people were laid off. There is no warranty on the puppy, and I am unable to download the IOS as they have no contract (and, I am unable to find the original IOS CD that came with the box.)

I guess I am wondering the following: am I screwed or is there another possible step I missed in getting this thing up and running before Monday morning. I am hoping to get this up before too many people notice.

The other questions I had for the gurus out there is this: could a hack possibly deleted or corrupted the flash? I began to look through the security advisories, and suddenly became scared....

Thanks,

Gizmo [pipe]

Yes a Hacker could have deleted the files. You said you looked at the files in flash? If flash is empty you will have to have an IOS to load. Check on your network for an IOS image. It will start with c2620 or c2600 probably the latter. You can buy an image from CDW or other retailer. Its a simple process to upload an image. If you can not find a copy of your IOS on your network, be sure to buy an image that supports the protocols and options you need!!

gdschertz,

Thanks for the info. Yeah, there are no files in the flash. I am going to have the router looked at to see if there are any hardware issues. Got the site up using my linksys from home - have no idea how she will handle, but, we will go from there.

Gizmo [pipe]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back