Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acessing outside line with modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jade771

Technical User
Oct 3, 2001
US
Please bear with me, I am somewhat familiar with phone systems, but no expert by any means. Here is my problem:

I am trying to access the internet via dial-up networking in a place (hospital room) that uses Nortel Norstar phones. When you pick up the phone, there is a dial tone automatically. When I plug in my modem, it cannot get a dial tone. Is there a code that needs to be dialed to access the line? Hope my question makes sense. Any help advice is appreciated!

this appears to be a mutiline phone which is connected to the station port of the system. you will not be able to get an analog Dial tone from that source. You will need
to have a ATA installed for you to able to get the analog line you require to connect to the internet. Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

They are digital phones - you cannot connect an analogue device/phone/modem etc in a digital port without going through a ATA (analogue terminal adaptor).
There are some ATA's which plug in place of the handset on a digital phone rather than having to be wired into the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back