Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acess Relationships

Status
Not open for further replies.

donahuem

MIS
Jul 31, 2001
US
I hacve 3 tables Contact Types, Contacts and Calls. I have set up a relationship between all three tables (one to many). The problem is that CompanyName whic appears in Contacts and Calls, and is linked in the Relationships window, does not appear in the Calls table. I have tried to edit this relationship and still does not work. There is a column with this heading but all of the fields in this column are blank.

Thanks.

how are u entering the data into the calls table, specifically the companyName field.

donhuem,
Suggest a slightly different design. Have:

tblCompany
CompID PK
ContactID FK from tblContacts
CompanyName
etc

tblContacts
ContactID PK
CompID FK from New tblCompany
ContactName
ContactType
etc

Relate CompID in tblCompany to CompID in tblContacts (one to many)

tblCalls
CallID PK
ContactID FK
CallType

Relate ContactID in tblContacts to ContactID in tblCalls (one to many)

Then use look up/validation tables:

tlkpContactTypes
ContactType

tlkpCallType
CallType

Create a main form for Company with a Subform for Contacts. In your subform for Contacts, as the field source for ContactType, set the row source to tlkpContactType. Use the build button to get the query up to include ContactType which will be as a combobox to pick from in your subform.

Make a form from tblCalls. Make ContactID a combobox using tblContacts as the source. Use tlkpCallType as the source for the callType combobox. Could be added to your Company form or be pulled up directly from your company form using a command button. Would allow for great flexibility, reduce chance of data entry errors, allow query flexibility. HTH, Montrose

Learn what you can and share what you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back