Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acer Notebook - DVD ROM works, CD-ROM does not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim58

Technical User
Feb 1, 2004
CA
I have an Acer Travelmate 4011 Notebook with a combo CD/DVD RW Drive.
Up until recently I could read & burn CD's with no problem.

I thought it peculiar that if the drive was fried, I could still see it in Win XP Device Manager & it is reported as working properly.

I put a DVD Disk in and it plays fine.

Device Manager is reporting this as a DVD RW, not the combo it used to be.

Is this a Driver issue?
Any ideas on how I can recover?

Tim58,

It is not uncommon for one mode to stop working in combo drives. I've had combos that didn't work with CDs and ones that didn't work with DVds while recording/playing the other format just fine.

Don't give up yet...try a CD lens cleaner disk ($10 at Radio Shack) and a few half-second bursts of canned air to perhaps get it back up.

Question: is this a removable/modular drive (look for a release button on the bottom). Perhaps re-seating the module might help.

Tony

No, the drive isn't removable/modular. I did try compressed air but will try the lens cleaner next.

What do think about removing the drive in Device Manager & seeing if it resolves itself on a re-boot?

What do think about removing the drive in Device Manager & seeing if it resolves itself on a re-boot?

Cannot hurt. If you are worried set a System Restore point before you do this. You can also try to do a System Restore to a time when the drive was known working.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back