Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acer netbooks and wireless internet? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

diogenes10

Technical User
Jan 22, 2003
US
I was thinking about getting an Acer netbook.

One of the repeatedly mentioned issues for this product in amazon reviews is that the wireless connections don't work at all or disconnect fairly regularly.

Is this a fixable issue or just something that a person lives with?

Any other issues that would concern you about a netbook?

Netbooks aren't as modular as regular notebooks so if the wifi card fails, you might have to have the whole motherboard replaced - or just use an external usb wifi card. Service and expandability would be my concerns with a netbook.

Eric

Netbooks aren't designed as number crunchers. They're more of a consumer in-between for a smartphone and laptop. I would highly recommend test-driving a netbook before you buy. I own one and I made sure that I ran the gamut of physical testing before buying. I must have spend a hour or so (combined time) of playing with it in various locations that would allow it (Costco, Walmart). The keyboard size is smaller that a standard laptop and the display takes some getting used to. If you're looking for something with an optical device, then the Acer Aspire One is out unless you buy an external. I find it useful for what I bought it for, but like I said, test drive to make sure, otherwise it's a costly toy.

Check out my blog post here for more details.

As for wireless connectivity, I've found no issues with it, and I use it quite a bit. It finds and connects flawlessly to all hot-spots that I've tried with. Wireless does drain the power a bit faster, but if you're just doing an e-mail check or a tweet, shouldn't be an issue. Even wireless connected I get 2hrs life out of the battery, which is what it is rated for (approximately).

Ken

"cckens is a nick... why the H-E- double-hockey-sticks am I using a nick for a name? Am I afraid of who I am?"
-me
"...don't know why, but I think of chickens when I see that nick...maybe even choking chickens???"
-Tony (wahnula)

The thing I find annoying about netbooks is the touchpad. The edges act as mouse wheels so you often end up with the whole screen as a small rectangle in the top right corner.

There is a lot of scrolling about: the screens are only 1024x600 for the smaller ones. The bigger ones are 1280x768.

You might also have to get a broadband modem with it if you're out and about a lot. Sticks out a lot and I've got a feeling the USB port will be useless within a year or two.

My $.02. I have been using the Acer Aspire One for a month or two now and have found it to be quite capable (considering it is a netbook). I have not had any issues with the wireless network and have used it in both Windows and Linux without problem. The drawbacks are that it is small, but the benefit is that they are cheap and very portable. I'm finding it much easier to take the netbook someplace just in case I might want it.

- flub

The WiFi problem reported in some Acer One Netbook is driver issue and is simply fixed by disabling the "Power Saving Mode" with in the advanced settings. I would agree with xwb the touch pad is very annoying at times, but for me the battery life and size is worth it.

Do as I did, external mouse and disable the touchpad. Saves time in the long run and you can always turn it back on if you forgot the mouse or some such. It's hot-keyed through Acer's software so it's just a 2-finger dip to toggle it.

Ken

"cckens is a nick... why the H-E- double-hockey-sticks am I using a nick for a name? Am I afraid of who I am?"
-me
"...don't know why, but I think of chickens when I see that nick...maybe even choking chickens???"
-Tony (wahnula)

USB clearance between ports on the side with the two ports is tight.

USB mouse and cruzer flash drive - they both went in but the flash drive looked like it was slanted a bit due to obstruction from the mouse connector.

Yeah, that can be an issue. I use the wireless mouse on the single side (left) and put the USB devices (flash drive, tablet, printer) on the double (right). Clearance then becomes a non-issue as the plugs are standard and don't crowd.

Ken

-me
-Tony (wahnula)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back