Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acer laptop - Hot keyboard/touchpad

Status
Not open for further replies.

juliaatpcgp

Technical User
Aug 21, 2006
GB
I've just bought an Acer Travelmate 4202 WLMi Notebook PC. It arrived late yesterday afternoon and I've been setting it up this morning for my MD.

I've had it on all morning and when about to put it away noticed the middle area of the keyboard and the touchpad was very, very warm. My colleague agrees.

My supplier can't really comment on this (they just said to check the fan on the bottom is working). They've given me the Acer UK telephone number for Technical Support - but I'll need to call later because they're obviously busy and their onhold music is loud and irritating (to say the least!) and I couldn't bear it for more than a few minutes !!!

Is this normal for an Acer notebook ? I've used various laptops in the past - HP, Compaq, Toshiba and Sony's and never noticed any heat in this part of the laptop.

I do hope you can help me decide if I need to return it for exchange.

Regards,
Julia

I have a TravelMate 6463 and it does get quite warm over where the CPU is. On mine the CPU fan blows air out the side and the exhaust is quite hot - not hot enough to burn you but hot enough to make you not want to put your hand there.

If your fan is working and hot air is blowing out somewhere, you should be fine. If the fan wasn't working I would expect the CPU to overheat pretty quickly and the machine to shut down straight away.

If you want to measure the CPU temperature some of these links should point you to tools that do that and articles that tell you what's considered normal:

Regards

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back