Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACER AM1640 intermitant boot. Locks up at splashscreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce060356

Technical User
Jan 29, 2011
US
Someone at the apartment building i live was throwing away an Acer Desktop Am1640-U1401A with DDR2 ram 2gigs and Window Vista home premium so i thought i would take a look to see what was wrong with it. I booted it up and it went to the splash screen and stopped.So i shut it down and re-seated the ram and it booted to the sign in screen. Couldn't sign in because i have no password. Next time i rebooted same this goes to spashscreen and stops.It won't let me go into bios at all and i can't get into the boot menu either. My questions is it Motherboard or power supply? And if it is motherboard where can i get one that doesn't cost the national debt to get?:) Thank you guys in advance i really appreciate it.
Bruce060356

re-seated the ram and it booted
should be the first clue.
It's quite possible the contacts need to be cleaned. It's also quite possible the RAM is bad. Try reseating all the MB connections before buying a new one, and try swapping RAM if you can, with some other RAM.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

This system has an Nvidia chipset that is a known issue. I would just look on ebay for a socket 775 board that would fit the case, and get a cheap video card and make sure it is low power, as the acer power supply is not very powerful.

Checked all the connections re-seated the ram and i can't get pass the opening screen. F12 and del to get into bios is a no go. Don't have extra ram to test so i think i am going in the morning for a different board. Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it very much.

Bruce060356

It's hardly worth buying a new mobo for it with only 2GB of RAM and Vista if you stayed with that. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (cheap power supply, not much RAM).

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

This is true goombawaho. I think i will just pitch it.Thanks for the info. And thanks for all the help guys.

You can pull all the working guts and save them for some day.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back