Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACE/TAO beginner problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

enokta

Programmer
Nov 1, 2008
TR
Hello,

I'm new to ACE+TAO(v5.6.6) and trying to run the simple examples. My client and server are on the same machine, my home x86 XP. Whenever I try with client I get the following message,

<xxxx|xxxx> EXCEPTION, Exception caught:
system exception, ID 'IDL:eek:mg.org/CORBA/TRANSIENT:1.0'
OMG minor code <2> described as 'no usable profile in IOR.' , completed = NO

Server and client projects are both in the same directory. So I don't need to copy the IOR file to the client directory.

C:\Ace_wrappers\bin>server
(it creates the IOR file but cannot back to C:\Ace_wrappers\bin> again. So I have to interrupt it with CTRL+C combination. But I am sure It generates the IOR file again)
Then I call
C:\Ace_wrappers\bin>client
and get the 'no usable profile in IOR' problem.

Thanks,
Eren

Is the naming service running?

I have no idea. But I built it which is in the
"C:\ACE_wrappers\TAO\orbsvcs\Naming_Service" directory.
How can I start it?

Ok. I got the solution. The server should not be terminated.
C:\Ace_wrappers\bin>start server
C:\Ace_wrappers\bin>client
It worked like this.
Thanks xwb.

More than one way to skin a cat. I normally start it as two cmd prompts the run server on one and client on the other.

If you get that working, try the server and client with -endpoint and 127.0.0.1. The problem is getting the syntax right. Every CORBA engine seems to have a completely different command line syntax.

If you manage to get that working, try with the IP address of the box. You may need to connect it to a hub. One thing to note is that the implementation of CORBA you're using may not always go out through the network card you think you're using. To be absolutely safe, make sure it is the default card or that there is only one network card on the system and no software loopbacks enabled.

If you manage to get that working, move the server or client to another machine and try with different endpoints.

If you get that going, you've effectively got what CORBA was designed for: scalability.

I moved the server to another machine on the network. I started the server there and tried to connect it from my machine.
But I cannot get it working. I'm sure that we can communicate(can ping each other).
My ip address : 192.168.3.102
servers' : 192.168.3.100

How can I connect to it? Is it needed to open any port on hub?
Thanks,
Eren

Have you tried using a -endpoint parameter? Something like

client -endpoint 192.168.3.100

There are quite a few command line parameters for ACE/TAO.

I've started the server in the other machine and then tried your advice(client -endpoint 192.168.3.100) but it didn't work. I am looking for the all other command line parameters for ACE/TAO on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back