Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accused of Spamming

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerbAndEdnaWeinstein

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
US
Hi, my 50-user domain was recently added to a spammers' blacklist and I'm not sure why.

About two weeks ago I upgraded from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. I added an additional IP address to hit our computer, but it's only for Outlook Web Access traffic, and only Port 80 is allowed.

From the spam report I could find, the IP address for our Webmail (and not the IP address for our SMTP server) is the one blacklisted. It was accused of sending about 10 spam messages.

I have lots of questions, but how might I start homing in on the origin of this supposed spam?

Thanks for any hints at all,
Herbie

Start by asking whoever blocked you to provide you with proff, like a full header.
Check for your IP in there, not just a domain name.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

You may have been stung by reverse DNS.

Check your public IP's DNS name. It may be something like xyz.abc.yourISP.com and if your ISP has been blacklisted, you fall with them too.

You need to have them remove the reverse DNS and have your domain tag holder add in OWA.yourdomain.com or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back