Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accrss across a T1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimatkci

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2003
US
I have a customer with a 100+ MB Access db and they are complaining that the T1 between facilities is running slow. When I explained the issues, the developer took offense. Does anyone know where I can find articles stating that you shouldn't run Access across a WAN (especially when the database is over 100 MB!)? Thanks,Jim

I've never seen that specific statement, probably too many other factors to consider over any telecom line to pin it on Access...

BUT maybe someone should consider upgrading to SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, or another industrial strength dB.

The problem I see with Access is where the query parsing takes place. If you have a dB with over 100 mb of data, and lots of tables, you are dragging TONS of data over the network, and then Access decides how to chop it up per your queries.

On the other hand, upsizing should have all the query parsing and processing on the server, and then only the data you actually need is sent over the LAN/WAN/.

Pretty easy to test. Download MS SQL Express 2005. Backup and upsize one of your db's and compare the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back